Re: Proposal to add GUC_REPORT to lc_monetary, lc_numeric and search_path

From: Shay Rojansky <roji(at)roji(dot)org>
To: Dave Cramer <davecramer(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Vladimir Sitnikov <sitnikov(dot)vladimir(at)gmail(dot)com>, brian(dot)m(dot)carlson(at)gmail(dot)com
Subject: Re: Proposal to add GUC_REPORT to lc_monetary, lc_numeric and search_path
Date: 2019-07-05 12:04:59
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> The latter is important for similar reasons. JDBC caches prepared
statements internally and if the user changes the search path without using
setSchema or uses a function to change it then internally it would be
necessary to invalidate the cache. Currently if this occurs these
statements fail.

While Npgsql specifically doesn't care about any locale/formatting (being a
binary-only driver), knowing about search_path changes would benefit Npgsql
in the same way as it would JDBC.

> This seems like a rather innocuous change as the protocol is not changed,
rather the amount of information returned on startup is increased
marginally.

Although adding these specific parameters are easy to add, we could also
think of a more generic way for clients to subscribe to parameter updates
(am not sure if this was previously discussed - I cannot see anything
obvious in the wiki TODO page). At its simplest, this could be a new
parameter containing a comma-separated list of parameters for which
asynchronous updates should be sent. This new parameter would default to
the current hard-coded list (as documented in
https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/protocol-flow.html#PROTOCOL-ASYNC).
Unless I'm mistaken, one issue (as in general with new parameters) is that
drivers wouldn't be able to send this new parameter in the startup package
because they don't yet know whether they're talking to a PostgreSQL version
which supports it.