Re: Encoding of early PG messages

From: Shay Rojansky <roji(at)roji(dot)org>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Encoding of early PG messages
Date: 2015-07-31 14:28:11
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Thanks for the suggestions Tom.

As I'm developing a general-purpose driver I can't do anything in
PostgreSQL config, but it's a good workaround suggestion for users who
encounter this error.

Sending lc_messages in the startup packet could work, but if I understand
correctly that setting combines both encoding and language. I guess I can
look at the user's locale preference on the client machine, try to
translate that into a PostgreSQL language/encoding and send that in
lc_messages - that seems like it might work.

Shay