Is Tablespace something like Logical Volume?

From: Majid Azimi <majid(dot)merkava(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-novice <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Is Tablespace something like Logical Volume?
Date: 2012-03-07 12:48:20
Lists: pgsql-novice

hi guys,

I'm confused about tablespaces in PostgreSQL. Is it something like
LVM? I mean when disk is getting full, can we add another disk, format
and then CREATE TABLESPACE tblspace LOCATION /media/disk2/data and
tables are automatically continue to grow on second table space(tables
are not partitioned)? Is it enough? Or we should manually ALTER
databases, tables or indexes and move them to other tablespace?