Re: BUG #6465: postgresql-pltcl refuses to compile with 9.1, and FreeBSD does support threaded python

From: Chris Rees <crees(at)freebsd(dot)org>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #6465: postgresql-pltcl refuses to compile with 9.1, and FreeBSD does support threaded python
Date: 2012-02-18 22:02:54
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Hi Tom,

Thanks for the prompt reply!

https://redports.org/browser/crees/databases/postgresql91-server/files/patch-configure.in

> This seems like a rather bad idea: it is not configure's responsibility
> to create that symlink. The bug report you reference looks like the
> user has attempted to build pltcl without building the rest of the
> source tree, something we do not consider supported. In the case at
> hand, the potential failure mode is that the derived errcodes.h file
> that the symlink is pointing at might not exist or might not be
> up-to-date. There are other possible problems with a subtree build too,
> and it would take a lot more work than just creating this one symlink
> earlier to avoid them all.

I think I'll remove the port for the docs, and have it as an option for the
client install then.

https://redports.org/browser/crees/databases/postgresql91-server/files/patch-config-python-m4

> Hmm ... we have multiple buildfarm machines routinely building
> --with-python on FreeBSD, and none of them have shown any sign of not
> liking threaded python:
> http://buildfarm.postgresql.org/cgi-bin/show_status.pl
>
> I think we'd need more information before arbitrarily disabling this.

The patch is to disable the error! It says that threaded python is
absolutely fine for FreeBSD; the check has been removed in the FreeBSD port
for a while, anyway.

Chris