Re: Request for comment on setting binary format output per session

From: Dave Cramer <davecramer(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>, Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Request for comment on setting binary format output per session
Date: 2023-04-20 19:51:34
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, 18 Apr 2023 at 12:31, Dave Cramer <davecramer(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> On Tue, 18 Apr 2023 at 12:24, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

>> > +1, but I wonder where we should put those exactly. My first thought
>> > was postgres_ext.h, but the charter for that is
>> >
>> > * This file contains declarations of things that are visible
>> everywhere
>> > * in PostgreSQL *and* are visible to clients of frontend interface
>> libraries.
>> > * For example, the Oid type is part of the API of libpq and other
>> libraries.
>> >
>> > so picayune details of the wire protocol probably don't belong there.
>> > Maybe we need a new header concerned with the wire protocol?
>>
>> Yeah. I sort of thought maybe one of the files in src/include/libpq
>> would be the right place, but it doesn't look like it.
>>
>> If we at least created the defines and replaced occurrences with the
> same, then we can litigate where to put them later.
>
> I think I'd prefer this in a different patch, but I'd be willing to take a
> run at it.

As promised here is a patch with defines for all of the protocol messages.
I created a protocol.h file and put it in src/includes
I'm fairly sure that some of the names I used may need to be changed but
the grunt work of finding and replacing everything is done.

Dave Cramer

> Dave

Attachment Content-Type Size
0001-Created-protocol.h.patch application/octet-stream 50.0 KB