Re: pg_upgrade does not upgrade pg_stat_statements properly

From: Dave Cramer <davecramer(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_upgrade does not upgrade pg_stat_statements properly
Date: 2021-07-15 15:21:59
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, 15 Jul 2021 at 11:15, David G. Johnston <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
wrote:

> On Thursday, July 15, 2021, David G. Johnston <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
> wrote:
>
>> On Thursday, July 15, 2021, Dave Cramer <davecramer(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>>

>>> Install any custom shared object files (or DLLs) used by the old
>>> cluster
>>> into the new cluster, e.g., <filename>pgcrypto.so</filename>,
>>> whether they are from <filename>contrib</filename>
>>> - or some other source.
>>> However it may be
>>> + necessary to recreate the extension on the new server after the
>>> upgrade
>>> + to ensure compatibility with the new library.
>>>

>> My uncertainty revolves around core extensions since it seems odd to
>> tell the user to overwrite them with versions from an older version of
>> PostgreSQL.
>>

> Ok. Just re-read the docs a third time…no uncertainty regarding contrib
> now…following the first part of the instructions means that before one
> could re-run create extension they would need to restore the original
> contrib library files to avoid the new extension code using the old
> library. So that whole part about recreation is inconsistent with the
> existing unchanged text.

The way I solved the original problem of having old function definitions
for pg_stat_statement functions in the *new* library was by recreating the
extension which presumably redefines the functions correctly.

I'm thinking at this point we need something a bit more sophisticated like

ALTER EXTENSION ... UPGRADE. And the extension knows how to upgrade itself.

Dave