Re: default result formats setting

From: Dave Cramer <davecramer(at)postgres(dot)rocks>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: default result formats setting
Date: 2022-08-07 14:08:35
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sun, 7 Aug 2022 at 09:58, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 24, 2021 at 12:01 PM Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
> > I don't think I buy the premise that there are exactly two levels
> > on the client side.
>
> Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this. I agree it's a complex
> issue, and the idea that there are possibly more than two logical
> levels is, for me, maybe your most interesting observation.
>
> --
> Robert Haas
> EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.co <http://www.enterprisedb.com>

I'd like to revive this thread.

I have put in a patch to do the same thing.
PostgreSQL: Re: Proposal to provide the facility to set binary format
output for specific OID's per session
<https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CADK3HHJFVS1VWxGDKov8XMeFzyxyGJAyzCRQUwjvso+NMo+ofA@mail.gmail.com>

Upthread Tom mused about how the JDBC driver would handle it. I can tell
you that it handles it fine with no changes as does the go driver. Further
as Jack pointed out it provides significant performance benefits.

The original discussion correctly surmises that the DESCRIBE statement is
rarely (if ever) used as any advantages of sending are nullified by the
cost of sending it.

I prefer the GUC as this allows pools to be configured to reset the setting
when returning the connection to the pool and setting it correctly for the
client when borrowing the connection.

Regards,

Dave