Re: Stored procedures and out parameters

From: Dave Cramer <pg(at)fastcrypt(dot)com>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>, Shay Rojansky <roji(at)roji(dot)org>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Vladimir Sitnikov <sitnikov(dot)vladimir(at)gmail(dot)com>, daniel(at)manitou-mail(dot)org, Andrew Gierth <andrew(at)tao11(dot)riddles(dot)org(dot)uk>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Stored procedures and out parameters
Date: 2018-08-30 20:14:57
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> In other words, being more like the SQL standard is probably good, but
> breaking compatibility is bad. You've technically avoided a
> *backward* compatibility break by deciding that functions and
> procedures can work differently from each other, but that just moves
> the problem around. Now instead of being unhappy that existing code
> is broken, people are unhappy that the new thing doesn't work like the
> existing thing. That may be the lesser of evils, but it's still
> pretty evil. People are not being unreasonable to want to call some
> code stored on the server without having to worry about whether that
> code is in a box labelled PROCEDURE or a box labelled FUNCTION.

Reading this from the (JDBC) drivers perspective, which is probably a
fairly popular one,
We now have a standard that we can't really support. Either the driver will
have to support
the new PROCEDURE with the {call } mechanism or stay with the existing
FUNCTIONS.
This puts the drivers in a no win situation.

This probably should have been discussed in more detail before this
> got committed, but I guess that's water under the bridge at this
> point. Nevertheless, I predict that this is going to be an ongoing
> source of pain for a long time to come.
>
> Undoubtedly.. surely the opportunity to do something about this has not
passed as this has not been
officially released ?

Dave Cramer

davec(at)postgresintl(dot)com