Re: Request for comment on setting binary format output per session

From: Dave Cramer <davecramer(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>, Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Request for comment on setting binary format output per session
Date: 2023-03-28 14:22:36
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sun, 26 Mar 2023 at 21:30, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:

> Dave Cramer <davecramer(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> > On Sun, 26 Mar 2023 at 18:12, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
> >> I would not expect DISCARD ALL to reset a session-level property.
>
> > Well if we can't reset it with DISCARD ALL how would that work with
> > pgbouncer, or any pool for that matter since it doesn't know which client
> > asked for which (if any) OID's to be binary.
>
> Well, it'd need to know that, just like it already needs to know
> which clients asked for which database or which login role.

OK, IIUC what you are proposing here is that there would be a separate pool
for
database, user, and OIDs. This doesn't seem too flexible. For instance if I
create a UDT and then want it to be returned
as binary then I have to reconfigure the pool to be able to accept a new
list of OID's.

Am I mis-understanding how this would potentially work?

Dave