Re: Error on failed COMMIT

From: Dave Cramer <davecramer(at)postgres(dot)rocks>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Haumacher, Bernhard" <haui(at)haumacher(dot)de>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Error on failed COMMIT
Date: 2020-02-14 20:43:24
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, 14 Feb 2020 at 15:19, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
wrote:

> On 2020-Feb-14, Dave Cramer wrote:
>
> > I offered to make the behaviour in the JDBC driver dependent on a
> > configuration parameter
>
> Do you mean "if con.commit() results in a rollback, then an exception is
> thrown, unless the parameter XYZ is set to PQR"?

No. JDBC has a number of connection parameters which change internal
semantics of various things.

I was proposing to have a connection parameter which would be
throwExceptionOnFailedCommit (or something) which would do what it says.

None of this would touch the server. It would just change the driver
semantics.

Dave Cramer
www.postgres.rocks