v11 transaction semantics inside procedures

From: Dave Cramer <davecramer(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: v11 transaction semantics inside procedures
Date: 2018-09-20 15:54:37
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Is there somewhere that the transaction semantics inside a procedure are
documented ? From what I can tell transactions start from the first DML
statement and end implicitly when the procedure exits. Commit or Rollback
can be called anytime inside the transaction and this implicitly starts
another transaction.

Is there anything else I am missing ? Does DDL get applied after the
transaction ends ?

I do find this somewhat surprising as Postgres typically requires a BEGIN
statement to start a transaction block.

Thanks
Dave Cramer