Re: Problem with async notifications of table updates

From: "Tyler, Mark" <Mark(dot)Tyler(at)dsto(dot)defence(dot)gov(dot)au>
To: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Problem with async notifications of table updates
Date: 2008-03-19 01:07:16
Lists: pgsql-general

Karsten Hilbert wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 18, 2008 at 01:28:36PM +1030, Tyler, Mark wrote:
>> This
>> is because I cannot pass any information with the NOTIFY apart from
>> the fact that "something happened".
>
> Oh, you can, you can calculate the name of the NOTIFY dynamically
> in the trigger sending the notify, for example embedding a primary key
value.

I don't understand how this can work. Surely my subscriber applications
have to listen to the same notification name that the publisher is going
to notify on (unless I am missing something about how NOTIFY/LISTEN
works). Yes I know you can construct that name dynamically prior to
issuing the NOTIFY but if you are changing the notification name then
how do the subscribers know what names to listen on? Do you have a quick
example of your suggestion?

Mark

IMPORTANT: This email remains the property of the Australian Defence Organisation and is subject to the jurisdiction of section 70 of the CRIMES ACT 1914. If you have received this email in error, you are requested to contact the sender and delete the email.