Re: timestamp in log table after update in another table

From: Bartosz Dmytrak <bdmytrak(at)eranet(dot)pl>
To: Falk Grossmann <fgrossmann(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: timestamp in log table after update in another table
Date: 2012-02-10 15:07:03
Lists: pgsql-novice

Hi,
You can use NEW record in trigger function e.g

CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION public."update_log_tbl"()
RETURNS TRIGGER AS
$$
BEGIN

UPDATE data.log
SET last_update = now()
WHERE unit_id = NEW.unit_id;

RETURN NEW;

end
$$
LANGUAGE 'plpgsql'
VOLATILE
CALLED ON NULL INPUT
SECURITY INVOKER
COST 100;

My assumptions are:

1. trigger will be fired after INSERT and/or UPDATE, because for DELETE
there is no NEW record, for DELETE should be modified;
2. This is row level trigger (not statement);
3. Trigger(s) will be defined on tables db_raw_data;
4. You need log transaction start time not an time when record was
modified during query execution. This is the difference between now() and
clock_timestamp() functions;
5. SECURITY INVOKER is intended - user who inserts/modify data
in db_raw_data has to have privilages to modify data in data.log table (is
is secure?).

NEW record represents inserted or modified record (new version) - is NULL
for DELETE
OLD record represents previous (existing) version of modified record - is
NULL for INSERT.

You can find it useful:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.1/static/plpgsql-trigger.html

Regards,