Functions and query analysis - EXPLAIN

From: Andy Halsall <halsall_andy(at)hotmail(dot)com>
To: "postgresql (dot)org novice list" <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Functions and query analysis - EXPLAIN
Date: 2012-02-10 17:07:21
Lists: pgsql-novice

Is it possible to use EXPLAIN from inside a function? Have seen this post http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-general/2011-04/msg00750.php but can't get it to work on even a simple query. Need it to work on a query in a function with a UNION.

Perhaps there's a better way of determining if my function is using the indexes I'd like it to use?

Thanks,
Andy