Re: Upgrade and Single User

From: Bartosz Dmytrak <bdmytrak(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Browder <tom(dot)browder(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Upgrade and Single User
Date: 2012-09-21 14:38:42
Lists: pgsql-novice

2012/9/19 Tom Browder <tom(dot)browder(at)gmail(dot)com>

> I want to upgrade my existing installation and would like to ensure
> the db is not modified until I get the new installation running.
>
> Is there any way to restart into a single user mode so that a
> pg_dumpall works as the superuser? Or am I limited to a stop, fiddle
> with pg_hba.conf, restart, pg_dumpall, etc.?
>
> Thanks,

Hi
according to doc (
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.2/static/auth-pg-hba-conf.html):
"*If you edit the file on an active system, you will need to signal the
postmaster (using pg_ctl reload or kill -HUP)*"

so, again according to doc (
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.2/static/app-pg-ctl.html):
"*reload mode simply sends the postgres process a SIGHUP signal, causing it
to reread its configuration files (postgresql.conf, pg_hba.conf, etc.).
This allows changing of configuration-file options that do not require a
complete restart to take effect*."

One advise:
1. change pg_hba.conf;
2. kill all user sessions (or kindly ask them to disconect);
3. reload configuration;
4. You're ready to updgrade.

Regards,
Bartek