Re: session username in default psql prompt?

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Kori Lane <kori(dot)lane(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: session username in default psql prompt?
Date: 2024-03-22 21:34:18
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Mar 22, 2024 at 4:04 PM Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 13, 2024 at 4:56 AM Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
> wrote:
> > Reposting as the archive mail processor doesn't seem to like the Apple
> > mail attachment.
>
> I'm not really a fan of this. Right now my prompt looks like this:
>
> robert.haas=#
>
> If we did this, it would say:
>
> robert(dot)haas(at)robert(dot)haas=#

Hmm. Perhaps we should change the default to "%n(at)%~%R%x%# "

Then when connected to your eponymous database you would see

robert(dot)haas(at)~=#

Of course, people can put this in their .psqlrc, and I do. The suggestion
came about because I had a couple of instances where people using the
default prompt showed me stuff and the problem arose from confusion about
which user they were connected as.

> I have yet to meet anyone who doesn't think that one Robert Haas is
> quite enough already, and perhaps too much by half.

perish the thought.

cheers

andrew