From: Masahiko Sawada <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Önder Kalacı <onderkalaci(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: David Steele <david(at)pgmasters(dot)net>, Euler Taveira <euler(at)timbira(dot)com(dot)br>, Craig Ringer <craig(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, Amit Langote <amitlangote09(at)gmail(dot)com>, movead li <movead(dot)li(at)highgo(dot)ca>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: row filtering for logical replication
Date: 2020-12-29 08:08:11
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi Önder,

On Thu, Dec 17, 2020 at 3:43 PM Önder Kalacı <onderkalaci(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm also interested in this patch. I rebased the changes to the current master branch and attached. The rebase had two issues. First, patch-8 was conflicting, and that seems only helpful for debugging purposes during development. So, I dropped it for simplicity. Second, the changes have a conflict with `publish_via_partition_root` changes. I tried to fix the issues, but ended-up having a limitation for now. The limitation is that "cannot create publication with WHERE clause on the partitioned table without publish_via_partition_root is set to true". This restriction can be lifted, though I left out for the sake of focusing on the some issues that I observed on this patch.
>
> Please see my review:
>
> + if (list_length(relentry->qual) > 0)
> + {
> + HeapTuple old_tuple;
> + HeapTuple new_tuple;
> + TupleDesc tupdesc;
> + EState *estate;
> + ExprContext *ecxt;
> + MemoryContext oldcxt;
> + ListCell *lc;
> + bool matched = true;
> +
> + old_tuple = change->data.tp.oldtuple ? &change->data.tp.oldtuple->tuple : NULL;
> + new_tuple = change->data.tp.newtuple ? &change->data.tp.newtuple->tuple : NULL;
> + tupdesc = RelationGetDescr(relation);
> + estate = create_estate_for_relation(relation);
> +
> + /* prepare context per tuple */
> + ecxt = GetPerTupleExprContext(estate);
> + oldcxt = MemoryContextSwitchTo(estate->es_query_cxt);
> + ecxt->ecxt_scantuple = ExecInitExtraTupleSlot(estate, tupdesc, &TTSOpsHeapTuple);
> +
> + ExecStoreHeapTuple(new_tuple ? new_tuple : old_tuple, ecxt->ecxt_scantuple, false);
> +
> + foreach(lc, relentry->qual)
> + {
> + Node *qual;
> + ExprState *expr_state;
> + Expr *expr;
> + Oid expr_type;
> + Datum res;
> + bool isnull;
> +
> + qual = (Node *) lfirst(lc);
> +
> + /* evaluates row filter */
> + expr_type = exprType(qual);
> + expr = (Expr *) coerce_to_target_type(NULL, qual, expr_type, BOOLOID, -1, COERCION_ASSIGNMENT, COERCE_IMPLICIT_CAST, -1);
> + expr = expression_planner(expr);
> + expr_state = ExecInitExpr(expr, NULL);
> + res = ExecEvalExpr(expr_state, ecxt, &isnull);
> +
> + /* if tuple does not match row filter, bail out */
> + if (!DatumGetBool(res) || isnull)
> + {
> + matched = false;
> + break;
> + }
> + }
> +
> [...]

You sent in your patch to pgsql-hackers on Dec 17, but you did not
post it to the next CommitFest[1] (I found the old entry of this
patch[2] but it's marked as "Returned with feedback"). If this was
intentional, then you need to take no action. However, if you want
your patch to be reviewed as part of the upcoming CommitFest, then you
need to add it yourself before 2021-01-01 AoE[3]. Thanks for your
contributions.

Regards,

[1] https://commitfest.postgresql.org/31/
[2] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anywhere_on_Earth