Re: [HACKERS] GUC for cleanup indexes threshold.

From: Masahiko Sawada <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Alexander Korotkov <a(dot)korotkov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>
Cc: Darafei Praliaskouski <me(at)komzpa(dot)net>, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Kyotaro HORIGUCHI <horiguchi(dot)kyotaro(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>, Yura Sokolov <y(dot)sokolov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>, Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, David Steele <david(at)pgmasters(dot)net>, Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Ideriha, Takeshi" <ideriha(dot)takeshi(at)jp(dot)fujitsu(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Kuntal Ghosh <kuntalghosh(dot)2007(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers-owner(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] GUC for cleanup indexes threshold.
Date: 2018-06-26 10:45:23
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Jun 22, 2018 at 6:55 PM, Alexander Korotkov
<a(dot)korotkov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru> wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 20, 2018 at 12:00 PM Alexander Korotkov
> <a(dot)korotkov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru> wrote:
>> On Wed, Jun 20, 2018 at 8:32 AM Masahiko Sawada <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>> > On Wed, Jun 20, 2018 at 1:00 AM, Alexander Korotkov
>> >
>> > Agreed. So should we move it to 19.11 Client Connection Defaults in
>> > doc as well? And I think it's better if this option places next to
>> > other vacuum options for finding easier. Attached patch changes them
>> > so. Please review it.
>>
>> Right, thank you. Looks good for me.
>> I'm going to commit this if no objections.
>
> Pushed.

Thank you!

> Regarding maximum value for vacuum_cleanup_index_scale_factor. I
> think introducing special value with "never cleanup" meaning would be
> overkill for post feature freeze enhancement.

After more thought, adding a threshold to invoke index cleanups
perhaps work in order to support "never cleanup", it will be
PostgreSQL 12 item though. If a index has less tuples than the
threshold (say, vacuum_cleanup_index_threshold), index cleanups never
be executed.

> So, I propose to just
> increase maximum value for both GUC and reloption. See the attached
> patch. It also changes calculations _bt_vacuum_needs_cleanup() for
> better handling of large values (just some kind of overflow paranoia).

The patch looks good to me.

Regards,

--
Masahiko Sawada