Re: pg_create_logical_replication_slot returns text instead of name

From: Masahiko Sawada <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_create_logical_replication_slot returns text instead of name
Date: 2018-07-13 02:14:01
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Jul 13, 2018 at 9:48 AM, Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz> wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 12, 2018 at 10:18:53PM +0900, Michael Paquier wrote:
>> That's a small thing, but I agree with you. As far as I can see slot
>> names are always mapped with the name type. I'll push that tomorrow if
>> there are no objections.
>
> Pushed, with a catalog version bump.

Thank you!

> While double-checking things, I have noticed that pg_stat_wal_receiver
> also uses text for slot names. I am not sure if this one is worth
> bothering as the docs point out the correct type, just mentioning.

Hmm, I'm also not sure about the policy of usage of name data type for
columns that show an object identifier on external servers. There is a
similar case; we have the pubname in pg_subscritpion as name type
whereas the subpublications in pg_subscription is text[] type.

Regards,

--
Masahiko Sawada
NTT Open Source Software Center