Re: autovacuum: change priority of the vacuumed tables

From: Masahiko Sawada <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Ildus Kurbangaliev <i(dot)kurbangaliev(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>
Cc: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: autovacuum: change priority of the vacuumed tables
Date: 2018-02-15 06:28:39
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

On Thu, Feb 8, 2018 at 11:01 PM, Ildus Kurbangaliev
<i(dot)kurbangaliev(at)postgrespro(dot)ru> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Attached patch adds 'autovacuum_table_priority' to the current list of
> automatic vacuuming settings. It's used in sorting of vacuumed tables in
> autovacuum worker before actual vacuum.
>
> The idea is to give possibility to the users to prioritize their tables
> in autovacuum process.

Hmm, I couldn't understand the benefit of this patch. Would you
elaborate it a little more?

Multiple autovacuum worker can work on one database. So even if a
table that you want to vacuum first is the back of the list and there
other worker would pick up it. If the vacuuming the table gets delayed
due to some big tables are in front of that table I think you can deal
with it by increasing the number of autovacuum workers.

Regards,

--
Masahiko Sawada
NTT Open Source Software Center