Re: Proposal : REINDEX xxx VERBOSE

From: Sawada Masahiko <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Jim Nasby <Jim(dot)Nasby(at)bluetreble(dot)com>
Cc: Kyotaro HORIGUCHI <horiguchi(dot)kyotaro(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Proposal : REINDEX xxx VERBOSE
Date: 2015-03-10 02:43:45
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Mar 6, 2015 at 11:07 AM, Jim Nasby <Jim(dot)Nasby(at)bluetreble(dot)com> wrote:
> On 3/2/15 10:58 AM, Sawada Masahiko wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, Feb 25, 2015 at 4:58 PM, Jim Nasby <Jim(dot)Nasby(at)bluetreble(dot)com>
>> wrote:

>>> Well, almost everything does a trailing WITH. We need to either stick
>>> with
>>> that for consistency, or add leading () as an option to those WITH
>>> commands.
>>>
>>> Does anyone know why those are WITH? Is it ANSI?
>>>
>>> As a refresher, current commands are:
>>>
>>> VACUUM (ANALYZE, VERBOSE) table1 (col1);
>>> REINDEX INDEX index1 FORCE;
>>> COPY table1 FROM 'file.txt' WITH (FORMAT csv);
>>> CREATE MATERIALIZED VIEW mv1 WITH (storageparam, ...) AS qry WITH DATA;
>>> CREATE EXTENSION ext1 WITH SCHEMA s1 VERSION v1 FROM over;
>>> CREATE ROLE role WITH LOGIN;
>>> GRANT .... WITH GRANT OPTION;
>>> CREATE VIEW v1 AS qry WITH CASCADED CHECK OPTION;
>>> ALTER DATABASE db1 WITH CONNECTION LIMIT 50;
>>> DECLARE c1 INSENSITIVE SCROLL CURSOR WITH HOLD;
>

> BTW, I'm fine with Tom's bare-word with WITH idea. That seems to be the most
> consistent with everything else. Is there a problem with doing that? I know
> getting syntax is one of the hard parts of new features, but it seems like
> we reached consensus here...

Attached is latest version patch based on Tom's idea as follows.
REINDEX { INDEX | ... } name WITH ( options [, ...] )

>> We have discussed about this option including FORCE option, but I
>> think there are not user who want to use both FORCE and VERBOSE option
>> at same time.
>

> I find that very hard to believe... I would expect a primary use case for
> VERBOSE to be "I ran REINDEX, but it doesn't seem to have done anything...
> what's going on?" and that's exactly when you might want to use FORCE.

In currently code, nothing happens even if FORCE option is specified.
This option completely exist for backward compatibility.
But this patch add new syntax including FORCE option for now.

Todo
- tab completion
- reindexdb command

Regards,

-------
Sawada Masahiko

Attachment Content-Type Size
000_reindex_verbose_v3.patch text/x-patch 17.0 KB