Re: Freeze avoidance of very large table.

From: Masahiko Sawada <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Jim Nasby <Jim(dot)Nasby(at)bluetreble(dot)com>, Petr Jelinek <petr(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>, Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>, Greg Stark <stark(at)mit(dot)edu>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Freeze avoidance of very large table.
Date: 2015-08-18 11:27:24
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Aug 10, 2015 at 11:05 AM, Michael Paquier
> On Mon, Aug 10, 2015 at 12:39 AM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>> On Thu, Aug 6, 2015 at 11:33 AM, Jim Nasby <Jim(dot)Nasby(at)bluetreble(dot)com> wrote:
>>> They also provide a level of control over what is and isn't installed in a
>>> cluster. Personally, I'd prefer that most users not even be aware of the
>>> existence of things like pageinspect.
>>
>> +1.
>>
>> [...]
>>
>> Extensions are a useful packaging mechanism for functionality that is
>> useful but not required, and debugging facilities are definitely very
>> useful but should not be required.
>
> +1.

Sorry to be come discussion late.

I have encountered the much cases where pg_stat_statement,
pgstattuples are required in production, so I basically agree with
moving such extension into core.
But IMO, the diagnostic tools for visibility map, heap (pageinspect)
and so on, are a kind of debugging tool.

Attached latest v11 patches, which is separated into 2 patches: frozen
bit patch and diagnostic function patch.
Moving diagnostic function into core is still under the discussion,
but this patch puts such function into core because the diagnostic
function for visibility map needs to be in core to execute regression
test at least.

Regards,

--
Masahiko Sawada

Attachment Content-Type Size
000_add_frozen_bit_into_visibilitymap_v11.patch text/x-patch 71.1 KB
001_diagnostic_function_for_visibility_map_v11.patch text/x-patch 2.7 KB