Re: Skipping logical replication transactions on subscriber side

From: Masahiko Sawada <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "osumi(dot)takamichi(at)fujitsu(dot)com" <osumi(dot)takamichi(at)fujitsu(dot)com>
Cc: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>, "houzj(dot)fnst(at)fujitsu(dot)com" <houzj(dot)fnst(at)fujitsu(dot)com>, Alexey Lesovsky <lesovsky(at)gmail(dot)com>, Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Skipping logical replication transactions on subscriber side
Date: 2021-08-10 05:07:00
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Aug 5, 2021 at 5:58 PM osumi(dot)takamichi(at)fujitsu(dot)com
<osumi(dot)takamichi(at)fujitsu(dot)com> wrote:

> On Tuesday, August 3, 2021 3:49 PM Masahiko Sawada <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> > I've attached new patches that incorporate all comments I got so far.
> > Please review them.
> Hi, I had a chance to look at the patch-set during my other development.
> Just let me share some minor cosmetic things.

Thank you for reviewing the patches!

> [1] unnatural wording ? in v5-0002.
> + * create tells whether to create the new subscription entry if it is not
> + * create tells whether to create the new subscription relation entry if it is
>
> I'm not sure if this wording is correct or not.
> You meant just "tells whether to create ...." ?,
> although we already have 1 other "create tells" in HEAD.

create here means the function argument of
pgstat_get_subscription_entry() and
pgstat_get_subscription_error_entry(). That is, the function argument
'create' tells whether to create the new entry if not found. I
single-quoted the 'create' to avoid confusion.g

> [2] typo "kep" in v05-0002.
>
> I think you meant "kept" in below sentence.
>
> +/*
> + * Subscription error statistics kep in the stats collector. One entry represents
> + * an error that happened during logical replication, reported by the apply worker
> + * (subrelid is InvalidOid) or by the table sync worker (subrelid is a valid OID).

Fixed.

> [3] typo "lotigcal" in the v05-0004 commit message.
>
> If incoming change violates any constraint, lotigcal replication stops
> until it's resolved. This commit introduces another way to skip the
> transaction in question.
>
> It should be "logical".

Fixed.

> [4] warning of doc build
>
> I've gotten an output like below during my process of make html.
> Could you please check this ?
>
> Link element has no content and no Endterm. Nothing to show in the link to monitoring-pg-stat-subscription-errors

Fixed.

I've attached the latest patches that incorporated all comments I got
so far. Please review them.

Regards,

--
Masahiko Sawada