Re: Failed to delete old ReorderBuffer spilled files

From: Masahiko Sawada <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: atorikoshi <torikoshi_atsushi_z2(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Failed to delete old ReorderBuffer spilled files
Date: 2017-11-21 06:48:46
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Nov 20, 2017 at 7:35 PM, atorikoshi
<torikoshi_atsushi_z2(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I put many queries into one transaction and made ReorderBuffer spill
> data to disk, and sent SIGKILL to postgres before the end of the
> transaction.
>
> After starting up postgres again, I observed the files spilled to
> data wasn't deleted.
>
> I think these files should be deleted because its transaction was no
> more valid, so no one can use these files.
>

> Below is a reproduction instructions.

> 1. Create table and publication at publiser.
>
> @pub =# CREATE TABLE t1(
> id INT PRIMARY KEY,
> name TEXT);
>
> @pub =# CREATE PUBLICATION pub FOR TABLE t1;
>
> 2. Create table and subscription at subscriber.
>
> @sub =# CREATE TABLE t1(
> id INT PRIMARY KEY,
> name TEXT
> );

> CONNECTION 'host=[hostname] port=[port] dbname=[dbname]'
> PUBLICATION pub;
>
> 3. Put many queries into one transaction.
>
> @pub =# BEGIN;
> INSERT INTO t1
> SELECT
> i,
> 'aaaaaaaaaa'
> FROM
> generate_series(1, 1000000) as i;
>
> 4. Then we can see spilled files.
>
> @pub $ ls -1 ${PGDATA}/pg_replslot/sub/
> state
> xid-561-lsn-0-1000000.snap
> xid-561-lsn-0-2000000.snap
> xid-561-lsn-0-3000000.snap
> xid-561-lsn-0-4000000.snap
> xid-561-lsn-0-5000000.snap
> xid-561-lsn-0-6000000.snap
> xid-561-lsn-0-7000000.snap
> xid-561-lsn-0-8000000.snap
> xid-561-lsn-0-9000000.snap
>
> 5. Kill publisher's postgres process before COMMIT.
>
> @pub $ kill -s SIGKILL [pid of postgres]
>
> 6. Start publisher's postgres process.
>
> @pub $ pg_ctl start -D ${PGDATA}
>
> 7. After a while, we can see the files remaining.
> (Immediately after starting publiser, we can not see these files.)
>
> @pub $ pg_ctl start -D ${PGDATA}
>
> When I configured with '--enable-cassert', below assertion error
> was appeared.
>
> TRAP: FailedAssertion("!(txn->final_lsn != 0)", File: "reorderbuffer.c",
> Line: 2576)
>
> Attached patch sets final_lsn to the last ReorderBufferChange if
> final_lsn == 0.

Thank you for the report. I could reproduce this issue with the above
step. My analysis is, the cause of that a serialized reorder buffer
isn't cleaned up is that the aborted transaction without an abort WAL
record has no chance to set ReorderBufferTXN->final_lsn. So if there
is such serialized transactions ReorderBufferRestoreCleanup cleanups
no files, which is cause of the assertion failure (or a file being
orphaned). What do you think?

On detail of your patch, I'm not sure it's safe if we set the lsn of
other than commit record or abort record to final_lsn. The comment in
reorderbuffer.h says,

typedef trcut ReorderBufferTXN
{
(snip)

/* ----
* LSN of the record that lead to this xact to be committed or
* aborted. This can be a
* * plain commit record
* * plain commit record, of a parent transaction
* * prepared transaction commit
* * plain abort record
* * prepared transaction abort
* * error during decoding
* ----
*/
XLogRecPtr final_lsn;

But with your patch, we could set a lsn of a record that is other than
what listed above to final_lsn. One way I came up with is to make
ReorderBufferRestoreCleanup accept an invalid value of final_lsn and
regards it as a aborted transaction that doesn't has a abort WAL
record. So we can cleanup all serialized files if final_lsn of a
transaction is invalid. Since I'm not very familiar with snapshot
building part please check it.

Anyway I think you should register this patch to the next commit fest
so as not forget.

Regards,

--
Masahiko Sawada