Re: Option to not use ringbuffer in VACUUM, using it in failsafe mode

From: Masahiko Sawada <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: David Rowley <dgrowleyml(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com>, Bharath Rupireddy <bharath(dot)rupireddyforpostgres(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Melanie Plageman <melanieplageman(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Option to not use ringbuffer in VACUUM, using it in failsafe mode
Date: 2023-04-26 08:47:43
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

On Sun, Apr 16, 2023 at 9:09 AM David Rowley <dgrowleyml(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> On Sat, 15 Apr 2023 at 12:59, David Rowley <dgrowleyml(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> > These are all valid points. I've attached a patch aiming to address
> > each of them.
>
> I tweaked this a little further and pushed it.

I realized that the value of vacuum_buffer_usage_limit parameter in
postgresql.conf.sample doesn't have the unit:

#vacuum_buffer_usage_limit = 256 # size of vacuum and analyze buffer
access strategy ring.
# 0 to disable vacuum buffer access strategy
# range 128kB to 16GB

It works but I think we might want to add the unit kB for
understandability and consistency with other GUC_UNIT_KB parameters.
I've attached a small patch that adds the unit and aligns the indent
of the comments to the perimeter parameters.

Regards,

--
Masahiko Sawada

Attachment Content-Type Size
add_unit_to_vacuum_buffer_usage_limit.patch application/octet-stream 738 bytes