Re: Transactions involving multiple postgres foreign servers

From: Masahiko Sawada <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Ashutosh Bapat <ashutosh(dot)bapat(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: vinayak <Pokale_Vinayak_q3(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Amit Langote <Langote_Amit_f8(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>, Vinayak Pokale <vinpokale(at)gmail(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Konstantin Knizhnik <k(dot)knizhnik(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>
Subject: Re: Transactions involving multiple postgres foreign servers
Date: 2017-01-13 06:48:10
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Jan 13, 2017 at 3:20 PM, Ashutosh Bapat
<ashutosh(dot)bapat(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> wrote:

>> Long time passed since original patch proposed by Ashutosh, so I
>> explain again about current design and functionality of this feature.
>> If you have any question, please feel free to ask.
>
> Thanks for the summary.
>

>> Parameters
>> ==========
>
> [ snip ]
>

>> Cluster-wide atomic commit
>> =======================
>> Since the distributed transaction commit on foreign servers are
>> executed independently, the transaction that modified data on the
>> multiple foreign servers is not ensured that transaction did either
>> all of them commit or all of them rollback. The patch adds the
>> functionality that guarantees distributed transaction did either
>> commit or rollback on all foreign servers. IOW the goal of this patch
>> is achieving the cluster-wide atomic commit across foreign server that
>> is capable two phase commit protocol.
>
> In [1], I proposed that we solve the problem of supporting PREPARED
> transactions involving foreign servers and in subsequent mail Vinayak
> agreed to that. But this goal has wider scope than that proposal. I am
> fine widening the scope, but then it would again lead to the same
> discussion we had about the big picture. May be you want to share
> design (or point out the parts of this design that will help) for
> solving smaller problem and tone down the patch for the same.

Sorry for confuse you. I'm still focusing on solving only that
problem. What I was trying to say is that I think that supporting
PREPARED transaction involving foreign server is the means, not the
end. So once we supports PREPARED transaction involving foreign
servers we can achieve cluster-wide atomic commit in a sense.

Regards,

--
Masahiko Sawada
NTT Open Source Software Center