Re: Report the number of skipped frozen pages by manual VACUUM

From: Masahiko Sawada <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Yugo Nagata <nagata(at)sraoss(dot)co(dot)jp>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Report the number of skipped frozen pages by manual VACUUM
Date: 2017-03-07 02:34:21
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Mar 6, 2017 at 12:12 PM, Yugo Nagata <nagata(at)sraoss(dot)co(dot)jp> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I think this is good since the information is useful and it is
> a little change.

Thank you for reviewing this patch!

> One thing I'm bothered is that even when the number of frozen page is
> one, it will say "1 frozen pages". In other messages, when the
> number of page is one, the word "page" rather than "pages" is used
> by using ngettext().

I don't think it can say "1 frozen pages" because the number of
skipped pages according to visibility map is always more than 32
(SKIP_PAGES_THRESHOLD).

> In addition, the document (doc/src/sgml/ref/vacuum.sgml) need a modification
> to use the new messages in its example.

Fixed.

> BTW, this patch can't be applied after the following commit.
>
> commit 9eb344faf54a849898d9be012ddfa8204cfeb57c
> Author: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
> Date: Fri Mar 3 19:18:25 2017 +0530
>
> Allow vacuums to report oldestxmin

Attached updated v2 patch.

Regards,

--
Masahiko Sawada
NTT Open Source Software Center

Attachment Content-Type Size
report_frozen_skipped_pages_v2.patch application/octet-stream 1.6 KB