Re: [Proposal] Table-level Transparent Data Encryption (TDE) and Key Management Service (KMS)

From: Masahiko Sawada <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Nico Williams <nico(at)cryptonector(dot)com>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, "Moon, Insung" <Moon_Insung_i3(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Joe Conway <mail(at)joeconway(dot)com>
Subject: Re: [Proposal] Table-level Transparent Data Encryption (TDE) and Key Management Service (KMS)
Date: 2018-06-21 07:49:34
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Jun 21, 2018 at 2:53 PM, Nico Williams <nico(at)cryptonector(dot)com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 21, 2018 at 10:05:41AM +0900, Masahiko Sawada wrote:

>> > They can also re-add ("replay") deleted values; this can only be
>> > defeated by also binding TX IDs or alike in the ciphertext. And if you
>> > don't bind the encrypted values to the PKs then they can add any value
>> > they've seen to different rows.
>>
>> I think we could avoid it by implementations. If we implement
>> per-column encryption by putting all encrypted columns out to another
>> table like TOAST table and encrypting whole that external table then
>> we can do per-column encryption without such concerns. Also, that way
>> we can encrypt data when disk I/O even if we use per-column
>> encryption. It would get a better performance. A downside of this idea
>> is extra overhead to access encrypted column but it would be
>> predictable since we have TOAST.
>
> The case we were discussing was one where the threat model is that the
> DBAs are the threat. It is only in that case that the replay,
> cut-n-paste, and silent deletion attacks are relevant. Encrypting a
> table, or the whole DB, on the server side, does nothing to protect
> against that threat.
>
> Never lose track of the threat model.

Understood.

>> On Thu, Jun 21, 2018 at 6:57 AM, Nico Williams <nico(at)cryptonector(dot)com> wrote:
>> So on the whole I think that crypto is a poor fit for the DBAs-are-the-
>> threat threat model. It's better to reduce the number of DBAs/sysadmins
>> and audit all privileged (and, for good measure, unprivileged) access.

I agree with this. The in-database data encryption can defend mainly
the threat of storage theft and the threat of memory dump attack. I'm
sure this design had been proposed for the former purpose. If we want
to defend the latter we must encrypt data even on database memory. To
be honest, I'm not sure that there is needs in practice that is user
want to defend the memory dump attack. What user often needs is to
defend the threat of storage theft with minimum performance overhead.
It's known that client-side encryption or encryption on database
memory increase additional performance overheads. So it would be
better to have several ways to defend different threats as Joe
mentioned.

As long as we encrypt data transparently in database, both the
encryption of network between database server and client and
encryption of logical backups (e.g pg_dump) can be problem. For
network encryption we can use SSL for now but for logical backups we
need to address in other ways.

Regards,

--
Masahiko Sawada