Re: Introduce wait_for_subscription_sync for TAP tests

From: Masahiko Sawada <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Date: 2022-07-26 07:41:57
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Jul 26, 2022 at 2:01 PM Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 26, 2022 at 7:07 AM Masahiko Sawada <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > In tap tests for logical replication, we have the following code in many places:
> >
> > $node_publisher->wait_for_catchup('tap_sub');
> > my $synced_query =
> > "SELECT count(1) = 0 FROM pg_subscription_rel WHERE srsubstate NOT
> > IN ('r', 's');";
> > $node_subscriber->poll_query_until('postgres', $synced_query)
> > or die "Timed out while waiting for subscriber to synchronize data";
> >
> > Also, we sometime forgot to check either one, like we fixed in commit
> > 1f50918a6fb02207d151e7cb4aae4c36de9d827c.
> >
> > I think we can have a new function to wait for all subscriptions to
> > synchronize data. The attached patch introduce a new function
> > wait_for_subscription_sync(). With this function, we can replace the
> > above code with this one function as follows:
> >
> > $node_subscriber->wait_for_subscription_sync($node_publisher, 'tap_sub');
> >

> +1. This reduces quite some code in various tests and will make it
> easier to write future tests.
>
> Few comments/questions:
> IN ('r', 's');";
> -$node_subscriber->poll_query_until('postgres', $synced_query)
> - or die "Timed out while waiting for subscriber to synchronize data";
> -
> # Also wait for initial table sync to finish.
> -$node_subscriber->poll_query_until('postgres', $synced_query)
> - or die "Timed out while waiting for subscriber to synchronize data";
> +$node_subscriber->wait_for_subscription_sync($node_publisher, 'mysub1');
>
> It seems to me without your patch there is an extra poll in the above
> test. If so, we can probably remove that in a separate patch?

Agreed.

> 2.
> + # wait for the replication to catchup if required.
> + if (defined($publisher))
> + {
> + croak 'subscription name must be specified' unless defined($subname);
> + $publisher->wait_for_catchup($subname, 'replay');
> + }
> +
> + # then, wait for all table states to be ready.
> + print "Waiting for all subscriptions in \"$name\" to synchronize data\n";
> + my $query = qq[SELECT count(1) = 0
> + FROM pg_subscription_rel
> + WHERE srsubstate NOT IN ('r', 's');];
> + $self->poll_query_until($dbname, $query)
> + or croak "timed out waiting for subscriber to synchronize data";
>
> In the tests, I noticed that a few places did wait_for_catchup after
> the subscription check, and at other places, we did that check before
> as you have it here. Ideally, I think wait_for_catchup should be after
> confirming the initial sync is over as without initial sync, the
> publisher node won't be completely in sync with the subscriber.

What do you mean by the last sentence? I thought the order doesn't
matter here. Even if we do wait_for_catchup first then the
subscription check, we can make sure that the apply worker caught up
and table synchronization has been done, no?

> 3. In the code quoted in the previous point, why did you pass the
> second parameter as 'replay' when we have not used that in the tests
> otherwise?

It makes sure to use the (current) default value of $mode of
wait_for_catchup(). But probably it's not necessary, I've removed it.

I've attached an updated patch as well as a patch to remove duplicated
waits in 007_ddl.pl.

Regards,

--
Masahiko Sawada