Re: Assertion failure when the non-exclusive pg_stop_backup aborted.

From: Masahiko Sawada <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Assertion failure when the non-exclusive pg_stop_backup aborted.
Date: 2017-09-22 02:34:05
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Sep 21, 2017 at 5:56 PM, Michael Paquier

> Yep, but the deficiency is caused by the use before_shmem_exit() in
> the SQL-level functions present in 9.6~ which make the cleanup happen
> potentially twice. If you look at the code of basebackup.c, you would
> notice that the cleanups of the counters only happen within the
> PG_ENSURE_ERROR_CLEANUP() blocks, so a backpatch to 9.6 should be
> enough.

Thank you for explaining. I understood and agreed..

On Fri, Sep 22, 2017 at 8:02 AM, Michael Paquier
> On Thu, Sep 21, 2017 at 5:56 PM, Michael Paquier
>> On Thu, Sep 21, 2017 at 4:40 PM, Masahiko Sawada <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>>>
>>> I think that the assertion failure still can happen if the process
>>> aborts after decremented the counter and before setting to
>>> SESSION_BACKUP_NONE. Am I missing something?
>>
>> The process would stop at the next CHECK_FOR_INTERRUPTS() and trigger
>> the cleanup at this moment. So this happens when waiting for the
>> archives to be done, and the session flag is set to NONE at this
>> point.
>
> And actually, with two non-exclusive backups taken in parallel, it is
> still possible to fail on another assertion in do_pg_stop_backup()
> even with your patch. Imagine the following:
> 1) Two backups are taken, counter for non-exclusive backups is set at 2.
> 2) One backup is stopped, then interrupted. This causes the counter to
> be decremented twice, once in do_pg_stop_backup, and once when
> aborting. Counter is at 0, switching as well forcePageWrites to
> false..
> 3) The second backup stops, a new assertion failure is triggered.
> Without assertions the counter would get at -1.

You're right. I updated the patch so that it exits do_pg_abort_backup
if the state is NONE and setting the state to NONE in
do_pg_stop_backup before releasing the WAL insert lock.

Regards,

--
Masahiko Sawada
NTT Open Source Software Center

Attachment Content-Type Size
fix_do_pg_abort_backup_v2.patch application/octet-stream 1.2 KB