Re: How to revoke privileged from PostgreSQL's superuser

From: Benedict Holland <benedict(dot)m(dot)holland(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>, "bejita0409(at)yahoo(dot)co(dot)jp" <bejita0409(at)yahoo(dot)co(dot)jp>, "pgsql-admin(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-admin(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, "pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: How to revoke privileged from PostgreSQL's superuser
Date: 2018-08-10 20:06:40
Lists: pgsql-admin pgsql-general

The short answer I will provide from my experience is that you can't do it.
Your DBA will have access to just about anything across all tables and
databases.

The longer answer are ones that others have pointed out. If a DBA should be
restricted from tables, they probably shouldn't be your DBA. Your DBA will
likely be the one responsible, for example, for backing up all of the
databases on a server. That requires read access and understanding concepts
about secure backups of sensitive data. It is also possible that they are
running backups as their own user rather than postgres. If you don't want
DBAs to access your data you really do not want that data to not have
backups.

I also would take Bruce's comment with a massive grain of salt. Everything
that everyone does on a database is logged somewhere assuming proper
logging. Now do you have the person-power to go through gigs of plain text
logs to find out if someone is doing something shady... that is a question
for your management team. Also, if you suspect someone of doing something
shady, you should probably revoke their admin rights.

~Ben