Are OIDs for pg_types constant?

From: Tyler Brock <tyler(dot)brock(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Are OIDs for pg_types constant?
Date: 2022-04-20 15:18:22
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi everyone,

I am writing a program that behaves like a Postgres backend and can see
that if I select oid from pg_type that the type old’s could be returned in
the Row Description message for the field’s data type and that seems to
work.

However, I didn’t read anywhere that these are guaranteed to be
constant/stable so I’d like to know if this is the case. For example: is
the old for pg_type bool = 16 on every instance of Postgres?

Also does there exist any documentation decoding what the pg_type fields
all mean?

Please let me know, thanks!

-Tyler