Re: What does Natvie Posgres mean?

From: Benjamin Scherrey <scherrey(at)proteus-tech(dot)com>
To: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "btober(at)computer(dot)org" <btober(at)broadstripe(dot)net>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: What does Natvie Posgres mean?
Date: 2018-06-12 18:11:00
Lists: pgsql-general

In my experience it refers to development directly via SQL against the
Postgres server rather than via an ORM like Django or the like. A
remarkably high percentage of applications backed by Postgres have been
written by developers that have never actually seen or written SQL code
directly. It's all generated (often quite naively) by the object relational
mapper. Requesting "native" developers means that they want you to
understand how the DB actually behaves and to be able to generate optimal
SQL code and proper DDLs that fit the application domain correctly.

- - Ben Scherrey