Re: FreeBSD 10 => 11: Dump and reload your PostgreSQL database unless you like it broken

From: Kevin Grittner <kgrittn(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Michael Sheaver <msheaver(at)me(dot)com>
Cc: "Maeldron T(dot)" <maeldron(at)gmail(dot)com>, Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Forums postgresql <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: FreeBSD 10 => 11: Dump and reload your PostgreSQL database unless you like it broken
Date: 2016-12-07 21:06:56
Lists: pgsql-general

On Wed, Dec 7, 2016 at 7:33 AM, Michael Sheaver <msheaver(at)me(dot)com> wrote:
> I would like to echo the sentiment on collation and expand it to
> character sets in general. When issues with them come up, they do
> take an incredible amount of time and effort to resolve, and are
> one of my own biggest pain points when dealing with databases and
> datasets from other sources.

I would be much happier if most developers understood the
difference between a character set (e.g., Unicode) and a character
encoding scheme (e.g., UTF-8 or UTF-16) and how the two concepts
relate. If we reached a point where most DBAs understood the point
of being able to set a client_encoding that is different from the
server_encoding, I think I would need to pop the cork on some
champagne.

Hm. Maybe a topic for a blog post....

--
Kevin Grittner