Re: [REVIEW] Tab Completion for CREATE DATABASE ... TEMPLATE ...

From: Kevin Grittner <kgrittn(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Vitaly Burovoy <vitaly(dot)burovoy(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Sehrope Sarkuni <sehrope(at)jackdb(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [REVIEW] Tab Completion for CREATE DATABASE ... TEMPLATE ...
Date: 2016-09-11 17:34:49
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sat, Sep 10, 2016 at 12:26 AM, Vitaly Burovoy
<vitaly(dot)burovoy(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> According to the documentation since 9.2 till devel a database can be
> used as a template if it has a "datistemplate" mark or by superusers
> or by their owners.

Hm. I wonder whether the following failure of "bob" to use the
specified template is intended or a bug. It seems to make sense to
sort that out before looking at the related tab completion.

test=# checkpoint;
CHECKPOINT
test=# create role fred with createdb;
CREATE ROLE
test=# create user bob;
CREATE ROLE
test=# grant fred to bob;
GRANT ROLE
test=# alter database postgres owner to fred;
ALTER DATABASE
test=# set role fred;
SET
test=> create database db1 template postgres;
CREATE DATABASE
test=> reset role;
RESET
test=# set role bob;
SET
test=> create database db2 template postgres;
ERROR: permission denied to create database

Opinions on whether this is a bug or correct behavior?

--
Kevin Grittner
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com