Re: Snapshot too old logging

From: Kevin Grittner <kgrittn(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Snapshot too old logging
Date: 2016-11-15 19:17:23
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Nov 15, 2016 at 12:45 PM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>> Is there value in showing which snapshot as well? Something like:
>> DETAIL: snapshot <xyz> is too old to access relation <relation>
>
> Snapshots don't have names, and I can't think of a useful way of
> identifying them to users.

The time that the snapshot was taken might be useful; I can't think
of anything else that would be. The main thing would be to include
the relation, with an indication that it's not necessarily true
that access to *any* part of the relation would be a problem.
Mentioning the block number would tend to support that idea, and
might be of some use.

--
Kevin Grittner
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com