Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Copy-editing for contrib/pg_visibility documentation.

From: Kevin Grittner <kgrittn(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Copy-editing for contrib/pg_visibility documentation.
Date: 2016-10-03 19:33:22
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Oct 3, 2016 at 9:22 AM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>> Sure, I'm not arguing with trying to be formal. The grammatical rule
>> that you're describing doesn't exist for me, though. I believe that
>> "that" can only introduce a restrictive clause, whereas "which" can
>> introduce either a descriptive or a restrictive clause.
>
> Yeah, as was noted downthread, that's the British view of it.

Even in the Midwest I have frequently heard people arguing to avoid
"that" in most situations where either could work. I ran into one
professor who went to what I considered silly lengths to expurgate
the word from documents.

> Anyway, we've probably beaten this horse to death.

Just to be sure of that, I'll cite the Chicago Manual of Style (my
preferred style guide), which seems to chart a course somewhere in
the middle:

http://www.chicagomanualofstyle.org/qanda/data/faq/topics/Whichvs.That.html

--
Kevin Grittner