Re: [REVIEW] Tab Completion for CREATE DATABASE ... TEMPLATE ...

From: Kevin Grittner <kgrittn(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Vitaly Burovoy <vitaly(dot)burovoy(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Sehrope Sarkuni <sehrope(at)jackdb(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [REVIEW] Tab Completion for CREATE DATABASE ... TEMPLATE ...
Date: 2016-09-11 20:52:30
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sat, Sep 10, 2016 at 12:26 AM, Vitaly Burovoy
<vitaly(dot)burovoy(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> Tested manually in versions 9.2 and 10devel, I hope it can be
> back-patched to all supported versions.

We don't normally back-patch tab completion work unless it is
fixing a crash or removing displayed entries which make no sense.
This is in line with the overall project policy of only
back-patching bug fixes, not enhancements. At this point I have
only applied it to the master branch, and won't go back farther
without a clear consensus to do so. It's not that this particular
change is all that scary, but it's a step down a slippery slope
that should not be taken without everyone being on the same page
about why this should be an exception and the next thing should
not.

> Mark it as "Ready for committer".
>
> P.S.: While I was reviewing I simplified SQL query: improved version
> only 2 seqscans instead of 3 seqscans with an inner loop in an
> original one.
> Please find a file "tab-complete-create-database-improved.patch" attached.

I was able to find cases during test which were not handled
correctly with either version, so I tweaked the query a little.
Also, for future reference, please try to use white-space that
matches surrounding code -- it make scanning through code less
"jarring".

Thanks all for the patch and the reviews!

--
Kevin Grittner
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com