Re: Make primnodes.h gender neutral

From: Kevin Grittner <kgrittn(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Chapman Flack <chap(at)anastigmatix(dot)net>, "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Make primnodes.h gender neutral
Date: 2016-03-18 04:41:25
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Mar 17, 2016 at 6:07 PM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
> Chapman Flack <chap(at)anastigmatix(dot)net> writes:
>> On 03/17/16 17:29, Kevin Grittner wrote:
>>> A grep with a quick skim of the results to exclude references to
>>> particular people who are mentioned by name and then referred to
>>> with a pronoun (which I assume we can leave alone), suggest there
>>> are about 70 lines in the 1346667 line C code base that need work.
>>>
>>> Any word-smiths out there who want to volunteer to sort this out?
>
>> So that must be N affected files for some N <= 70 ...
>
>> what would you think of starting a wiki page with those N filenames
>> (so nobody has to repeat your grepping/skimming effort), and volunteers
>> can claim a file or five, marking them taken on that page, and wordsmith
>> away?
>
> Yeah, Kevin, could you post your results? I'd have guessed there were
> more trouble spots than that. If that really is the size of the problem,
> seems like we could fix all those instances in one patch and be done
> with it. (At least till new ones sneak in :-()

I see others have also been scanning the sgml sources, while I was
just looking at .c and .h files. FWIW, I've attached grep results
based on what I used for my initial count, which was just scanning
for the six gender-specific pronouns that came to mind at the time
-- I probably missed some, but this should be the bulk of it I
think. This time I included a few lines around each pronoun for
context; hopefully that makes it easier for the word-smiths. I
removed results where "he" was used as a local variable name for a
HeapEntry and those places where the pronoun referred back to a
person (e.g., Knuth) who was mentioned just above.

Note that since multiple lines with gender-specific pronouns
sometimes are near each other and thus show up in the same block,
there are 59 blocks in 42 files.

--
Kevin Grittner
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com

Attachment Content-Type Size
gratuitous-gender-pronouns-in-C-comment-blocks.txt text/plain 34.8 KB