Re: Implement targetlist SRFs using ROWS FROM() (was Changed SRF in targetlist handling)

From: Kevin Grittner <kgrittn(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Implement targetlist SRFs using ROWS FROM() (was Changed SRF in targetlist handling)
Date: 2016-09-02 14:05:35
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Sep 2, 2016 at 3:31 AM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 23, 2016 at 3:10 AM, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de> wrote:

>> =# SELECT * FROM few, ROWS FROM(generate_series(1,3));
>> ┌────┬─────────────────┐
>> │ id │ generate_series │
>> ├────┼─────────────────┤
>> │ 1 │ 1 │
>> │ 2 │ 1 │
>> │ 1 │ 2 │
>> │ 2 │ 2 │
>> │ 1 │ 3 │
>> │ 2 │ 3 │
>> └────┴─────────────────┘
>> (6 rows)
>> surely isn't what was intended. So the join order needs to be enforced.
>
> In general, we've been skeptical about giving any guarantees about
> result ordering.

+1

I think it is a very bad idea to move away from the statement that
a query generates a set of rows, and that no order is guaranteed
unless the top level has an ORDER BY clause. How hard is it to add
ORDER BY 1, 2 to the above query? Let the optimizer notice when a
node returns data in the needed order and skip the sort if possible.

--
Kevin Grittner
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com