Re: cannot execute VACUUM during recovery

From: github kran <githubkran(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Stephen Eilert <contact(at)stepheneilert(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: cannot execute VACUUM during recovery
Date: 2019-03-02 18:46:33
Lists: pgsql-general

On Wed, Feb 27, 2019 at 12:39 PM Stephen Eilert <contact(at)stepheneilert(dot)com>
wrote:

> Are you running Vacuum on the slave node? It has to run on the master.
>
> Thanks,
>
> – Stephen

Thanks Stephen for your advice Iam running the VACUUM command from 2 of
the linux instances using the below command. We were running some scripts
from these linux boxes and surprised to see 1 works the other does not so
wondering why does it happen.

* Command:* *VACUUM VERBOSE myTableTest;*

1) Running from Linux Instance1
Command Iam running -> psql -h clusterName -U myUserName -d myPostgresDB
There is no .pgpass setup on this linux instance so I had to manually enter
the password here. VACUUM on the table Iam running does not work and throws
an error as ERROR: cannot execute VACUUM during recovery
2) Running from Linux Instance2
Command Iam running -> psql -d myPostgresDB -h clusterName -U myUserName
This option had a .pgpass file at the root in this linux instance and I did
not pass any password here, the
*VACUUM on the table Iam running works.*

*pgpass is setup here and contains
-> clusterName:5432:myPostgresDB:myUserName:myDBPassword*

Thanks
- Kran.