Re: replay pause vs. standby promotion

From: Atsushi Torikoshi <atorik(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)oss(dot)nttdata(dot)com>
Cc: Jehan-Guillaume de Rorthais <jgdr(at)dalibo(dot)com>, Sergei Kornilov <sk(at)zsrv(dot)org>, "pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: replay pause vs. standby promotion
Date: 2020-03-20 06:22:53
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Mar 6, 2020 at 10:18 PM Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)oss(dot)nttdata(dot)com>
wrote:

> OK, so patch attached.
>
> This patch causes, if a promotion is triggered while recovery is paused,
> the paused state to end and a promotion to continue. OTOH, this patch
> makes pg_wal_replay_pause() and _resume() throw an error if it's executed
> while a promotion is ongoing.

Regarding recovery_target_action, if the recovery target is reached
> while a promotion is ongoing, "pause" setting will act the same as
> "promote",
> i.e., recovery will finish and the server will start to accept connections.
>
> To implement the above, I added new shared varible indicating whether
> a promotion is triggered or not. Only startup process can update this
> shared
> variable. Other processes like read-only backends can check whether
> promotion is ongoing, via this variable.
>
> I added new function PromoteIsTriggered() that returns true if a promotion
> is triggered. Since the name of this function and the existing function
> IsPromoteTriggered() are confusingly similar, I changed the name of
> IsPromoteTriggered() to IsPromoteSignaled, as more appropriate name.

I've confirmed the patch works as you described above.
And I also poked around it a little bit but found no problems.

Regards,

--
Atsushi Torikoshi