Re: proposal: alternative psql commands quit and exit

From: Everaldo Canuto <everaldo(dot)canuto(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Vik Fearing <vik(dot)fearing(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>, Chapman Flack <chap(at)anastigmatix(dot)net>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: proposal: alternative psql commands quit and exit
Date: 2018-01-14 02:36:54
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sat, Jan 13, 2018 at 11:31 PM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:

> Vik Fearing <vik(dot)fearing(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> writes:
> > After re-reading the thread, I think the original patch is optimal.
>
> Hm, few other people thought that.

I don't wanna be irritating but here every postgres user I found really
can't understand how the original patch was not accepted, people against it
did not show good reasons.

> In particular, I currently hate how pasting a query with tabs screws
> > everything up with unhelpful completions. I don't want to add to that
> > with the column example Tom exposed in [1] and especially with the
> > plpgsql example Vladimir Svedov exposed in [2].
>
> That seems like sort of an independent problem, though. I wonder
> whether it's possible to find out from libreadline that the input
> text came from a paste rather than being typed.
>
> > I quite like the idea of blanking the database name in PROMPT2 as
> > suggested by Daniel in [3], I would be happy to work on that patch if
> > others agree.
>
> I think that the part of that about inserting a line number is important.
> What about combining the two ideas: in PROMPT2, the database name is
> *replaced* by a line number, while (trying to) keep the width the same?

If you guys can review the supposed consensus about this patch, I can spend
some time and implement this PROMPT2 idea on different patch submission.

Regards, Everaldo