Re: diagnosing a db crash - server exit code 2

From: Robert Burgholzer <rburghol(at)vt(dot)edu>
To: "Burgholzer, Robert (DEQ)" <Robert(dot)Burgholzer(at)deq(dot)virginia(dot)gov>
Cc: Joe Conway <mail(at)joeconway(dot)com>, Scott Marlowe <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: diagnosing a db crash - server exit code 2
Date: 2011-10-03 17:10:59
Lists: pgsql-admin

FWIW - I am currently trying this while tracing the process that I assume is
the postmaster (/usr/bin/postgres -D /home/postgres/data), since this
process number indicates that it was recently restarted - although the other
PG processes, writer, wal writer, autovacuum, stats collector all have their
older pids indicating that they still survive.

regards,
r.b.

On Mon, Oct 3, 2011 at 12:54 PM, Burgholzer, Robert (DEQ) <
Robert(dot)Burgholzer(at)deq(dot)virginia(dot)gov> wrote:

> OK,
> So I have upgraded to the latest plR, and restarted my PG backend and
> reloaded my PG functions that call R/PlR. I am still able to make the
> process crash by running my R functions. When trying to obtain the
> stack trace, however, I notice that it appears as if the process that is
> CAUSING the crash, is not SUFFERING the crash, as per this message while
> executing the offending SQL/pLR. I have my PHP process running in the
> background, making no R calls but involving heavy traffic on the PG
> server, and I opened up a psql console and executed the troublesome
> command (a large quantile call) - then I ran a trace on the psql console
> session, and got the following at the PG command line while waiting for
> the query to finish:
>
> <psql>
> This probably means the server terminated abnormally
> </psql>
>
> This is backed up by the debuglog.txt giving me no feedback:
>
> <debuglog.txt>
> Continuing.
> Program exited normally.
> </debuglog.txt>
>
> Is it even possible that something like this is happening -- i.e.,
> calling R from a different process kills another backend? How do I
> figure out which process to watch?
>
> Thanks,
> r.b.
>
> Robert W. Burgholzer
> Surface Water Modeler
> Office of Water Supply and Planning
> Virginia Department of Environmental Quality
> rwburgholzer(at)deq(dot)virginia(dot)gov
> 804-698-4405
> Open Source Modeling Tools:
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/npsource/

Robert W. Burgholzer
http://www.findingfreestyle.com/
On Facebook -
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Finding-Freestyle/151918511505970
Twitter - http://www.twitter.com/findfreestyle
What's a tweeted swim set? A Sweet? No, a #swaiku! Get them by following
http://twitter.com/findfreestyle