Re: patch to allow disable of WAL recycling

From: Jerry Jelinek <jerry(dot)jelinek(at)joyent(dot)com>
To: Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: patch to allow disable of WAL recycling
Date: 2018-07-27 20:32:11
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I've setup FreeBSD 11.1 in a VM and I setup a ZFS filesystem to use for the
Postgres DB. I ran the following simple benchmark.

pgbench -M prepared -c 4 -j 4 -T 60 postgres

Since it is in a VM and I can't control what else might be happening on the
box, I ran this several times at different times of the day and averaged
the results. Here is the average TPS and latency with WAL recycling on (the
default) and off.

recycling on
avg tps: 407.4
avg lat: 9.8

recycling off
avg tps: 425.7
avg lat: 9.4 ms

Given my uncertainty about what else is running on the box, I think it is
reasonable to say these are essentially equal, but I can collect more data
across more different times if necessary. I'm also happy to collect more
data if people have suggestions for different parameters on the pgbench run.

Thanks,
Jerry