Simultaneous Installations 7.4 9.x

From: Randy Johnson <randy(dot)johnson(at)smokingpipes(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Simultaneous Installations 7.4 9.x
Date: 2012-05-07 15:08:47
Lists: pgsql-general

Hello,

I have a redhat E5 installation with PostgreSQL 7.4 installation. I have
been tasked with upgrading it to 9.x

I have read that I can install both versions at the same time via YUM and
edit the config file on the new installation to use a different port until
go live time.

Can anyone confirm if this is true?

I also read this is the ideal way to go so I can use the newer version of
pg_dumpall to transfer the data because the newer version contains bug
fixes and other efficiencies.

Thanks for your advice.

Randy