Re: Adding SHOW CREATE TABLE

From: Kirk Wolak <wolakk(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Adding SHOW CREATE TABLE
Date: 2023-05-22 05:19:21
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

On Fri, May 19, 2023 at 1:08 PM Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net> wrote:

> I think the ONLY place we should have this is in server side functions.
> More than ten years ago I did some work in this area (see below), but it's
> one of those things that have been on my ever growing personal TODO list
>
> See <https://bitbucket.org/adunstan/retailddl/src/master/>
> <https://bitbucket.org/adunstan/retailddl/src/master/> and
> <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBarFKOL3SI>
> <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBarFKOL3SI>

Andrew,
Thanks for sharing that. I reviewed your code. 10yrs, clearly it's not
working (as-is, but close), something interesting about the
structure you ended up in. You check the type of the object and redirect
accordingly at the top level. Hmmm...
What I liked was that each type gets handled (I was focused on "table"),
but I realized similarities.

I don't know what the group would think, but I like the thought of
calling this, and having it "Correct" to call the appropriate function.
But not sure it will stand. It does make obvious that some of these should
be spun out as "pg_get_typedef"..
pg_get_typedef
pg_get_domaindef
pg_get_sequencedef

Finally, since you started this a while back, part of me is "leaning"
towards a function:
pg_get_columndef

Which returns a properly formatted column for a table, type, or domain?
(one of the reasons for this, is that this is
the function with the highest probability to change, and potentially the
easiest to share reusability).

Finally, I am curious about your opinion. I noticed you used the
internal pg_ tables, versus the information_schema...
I am *thinking* that the information_schema will be more stable over
time... Thoughts?

Thank you for sharing your thoughts...
Kirk...