Re: "PANIC: could not open critical system index 2662" - twice

From: Kirk Wolak <wolakk(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Evgeny Morozov <postgresql3(at)realityexists(dot)net>
Cc: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, PostgreSQL General <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: "PANIC: could not open critical system index 2662" - twice
Date: 2023-05-16 19:54:02
Lists: pgsql-general

On Tue, May 16, 2023 at 10:20 AM Evgeny Morozov <
postgresql3(at)realityexists(dot)net> wrote:

> On 9/05/2023 3:32 am, Andres Freund wrote:
> > Attached is a rough prototype of that idea (only using datconnlimit ==
> > -2 for now).
> > I guess we need to move this to -hackers. Perhaps I'll post subsequent
> > versions below
> >
> https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/20230314174521.74jl6ffqsee5mtug%40awork3.anarazel.de
> ?
> So now that a patch is in the works, can I drop the two corrupted
> databases? Is there a workaround I can use to reduce the risk of running
> into this issue again until a patch is released? (Which I guess would be
> in August?)

The only work around to avoid losing data that I know of are backups and
WAL backups.
Plus "hard core testing/validation" that they work. We settled on
pg_backrest and are happy with it.

Technically, based on what I understand of this bug. It did not corrupt
the WAL. If that's true, then if
you had a basebackup and all the wall files, you could have played back and
recovered the data.
At least to some degree. Assuming I am right.

HTH