Proposal: :SQL_EXEC_TIME (like :ROW_COUNT) Variable (psql)

From: Kirk Wolak <wolakk(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Maciek Sakrejda <m(dot)sakrejda(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Nikolay Samokhvalov <samokhvalov(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka(at)iki(dot)fi>, Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>, Andrey Borodin <amborodin86(at)gmail(dot)com>, Laurenz Albe <laurenz(dot)albe(at)cybertec(dot)at>
Subject: Proposal: :SQL_EXEC_TIME (like :ROW_COUNT) Variable (psql)
Date: 2023-02-23 19:55:33
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Everyone,
I love that my proposal for %T in the prompt, triggered some great
conversations.

This is not instead of that. That lets me run a query and come back
HOURS later, and know it finished before 7PM like it was supposed to!

This feature is simple. We forget to set \timing on...
We run a query, and we WONDER... how long did that take.

This, too, should be a trivial problem (the code will tell).

I am proposing this to get feedback (I don't have a final design in mind,
but I will start by reviewing when and how ROW_COUNT gets set, and what
\timing reports).

Next up, as I learn (and make mistakes), this toughens me up...

I am not sure the name is right, but I would like to report it in the
same (ms) units as \timing, since there is an implicit relationship in what
they are doing.

I think like ROW_COUNT, it should not change because of internal commands.
So, you guys +1 this thing, give additional comments. When the feedback
settles, I commit to making it happen.

Thanks, Kirk