Re: SQL:2011 application time

From: jian he <jian(dot)universality(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Paul Jungwirth <pj(at)illuminatedcomputing(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Subject: Re: SQL:2011 application time
Date: 2023-11-07 07:07:15
Lists: pgsql-hackers

hi. based on v17. I found several doc related issues. previously I
didn't look closely....

+ </para>
+ In a temporal foreign key, the delete/update will use
+ <literal>FOR PORTION OF</literal> semantics to constrain the
+ effect to the bounds being deleted/updated in the referenced row.
+ </para>

The first "para" should be <para> ?
---
There are many warnings after #define WRITE_READ_PARSE_PLAN_TREES
see: http://cfbot.cputube.org/highlights/all.html#4308
Does that mean oue new change in gram.y is somehow wrong?
------
sgml/html/sql-update.html:
"range_or_period_name
The range column or period to use when performing a temporal update.
This must match the range or period used in the table's temporal
primary key."

Is the second sentence unnecessary? since no primary can still do "for
portion of update".

sgml/html/sql-update.html:
"start_time
The earliest time (inclusive) to change in a temporal update. This
must be a value matching the base type of the range or period from
range_or_period_name. It may also be the special value MINVALUE to
indicate an update whose beginning is unbounded."

probably something like the following:
"lower_bound"
The lower bound (inclusive) to change in an overlap update. This must
be a value matching the base type of the range or period from
range_or_period_name. It may also be the special value UNBOUNDED to
indicate an update whose beginning is unbounded."

Obviously the "start_time" reference also needs to change, and the
sql-delete.html reference also needs to change.
UPDATE for_portion_of_test FOR PORTION OF valid_at FROM NULL TO
"unbounded" SET name = 'NULL to NULL';
should fail, but not. double quoted unbounded is a column reference, I assume.

That's why I am confused with the function transformForPortionOfBound.
"if (nodeTag(n) == T_ColumnRef)" part.
in create_table.sgml. you also need to add WITHOUT OVERLAPS related
info into <varlistentry id="sql-createtable-parms-unique">